Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Step one, tell the government you live in Germany

I'm fucked. Maybe. Hopefully not, but from what I've read I'm practically staring at a "burner" waiting for Tiger to text me back with a room number. I've been living in Germany for about 70 days, that means I have 20 left on my tourist visa. You can legally visit Europe for 90 days at a crack, after that you gotta go home and tell you friends the same stories that they've already read on your blog for 3 months before you can go back.

The problem is I like Tiff a LOT and I don't want to go back to the states without her. My dog and all my hats and shoes are here too, and I like them almost as much, so leaving is the last resort. There are 3 ways this can go:

1) I get a job, which grants me a work visa....I've been looking for a job, believe me. But to get a job here isn't so easy. I speak rudimentary German at best. I can get a beer;
"Eins Bier, Danke"
and get rid of it, "Toilette?"
But after that I'm seriously just learning, and unless I find a company that speaks mainly English I'm kinda looking for a paddle.

2) I have an appointment with the Alien's Office to get a Resident Visa. I have a job back in the states and I saved enough cash to get me in some SERIOUS trouble in Mexico and from what I've read it's a pretty simple process, show them that you have:
a)Money
b)Insurance
c)A place to live
d)A reason to be here
If you can prove all this they can approve you for up to a year at which time they will probably renew it no questions axed as long as you still fit the requirements.

This sounds fine and/or dandy but they don't say how much dough you need. I remember when I was 18 I worked as a mechanic and I was about to go on my first vacation, the guy who owned the shop asked me how much I had with me for my trip and I thought I was rich.
"I've got 6 hundred bones saved up"
"how long you goin' for?"
"a week"
"shit, I keep more in my pocket when I take my kids to Chuck E. Cheese" and he pulled out a knot to prove the point. The concept of "rich" is subject to interpretation, folks.

The other thing is they can just say no. I could have all the insurance, Carlos Slim money, a place to put my head and all that stuff but they can just say no, stamp my paper, close my file and say "Tschüs" and that scares me.

Option number 3) Just stay. But never be able to come back. If I don't leave the EU, they'll never have a reason to check my passport. If I don't do anything dumb I won't have to deal with cops. But when we leave, that's it. Europe is closed.

You got ideas? I got 20 days and I'm listenin'

I've had less stressful months.

10 comments:

  1. Student visa? my best girlfriend ever who is from Munich lived in the states for 4-5 years finishing her education and traveled back to Germany to visit whenever she wanted....

    Marry a German citizen on purely platonic and mutually beneficial level ???? jk

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe taking german classes will count as being a student. If you cant do the student thing.. Be honest about your situation, if you have to come home for three months it will suck, but at least you would have time to save up more tips and have something to go back with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first, be honest to whoevers interviewing you and tell them you just wanna hang with your woman.
    if that doesn't work, no one will think you're crazy if you and tiffany have a purely legally inspired marriage. then you get your visa, and it's all just paper anyway.
    one day if you guys really do wanna get the love inspired marriage, you can do that here in the u.s. where all your family and friends can get drunk with you. and if you want a divorce, well, that won't happen because you and tiff are perfect for each other.
    :) xo missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. student visa! or male stripper, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just get a job you dead beat. Jeez.

    But seriously, I don't know shit about visas and all that. I do know that 3 months away from your sweetie isn't going to kill you, you wuss. And those 3 months could be spent learning German, saving money and looking for a way to get a job in Germany. Perhaps an American company with branches in Germany? Or vice versa. Get a job in the states for a while, then look for a way to transfer. This is ideal because then the co. pays for and takes care of all the visa crap.

    Of course this is all speculation on a job market that sucks right now, but I think things are going to shift, and soon. And besides, I know you Nate. You're a man of invention and alacrity. You can and will find a way to make this work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the student visa and the truth seem like your best plans.

    i don't think you'll have a problem, honestly. immigrant/nonimmigrant policy in most western countries has a definite bias towards white, heterosexual, non-muslims who are educated and not likely to become criminals or a burden on society.

    do you have to get married to hinge on tiff's visa, or will an 'engagement' suffice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, you gotta talk to someone and beg to get that visa. Can you honestly say you wouldn't want to ever go back to ALL OF EUROPE ever again for the rest of your life? That's a long time and a big country. Here's hoping you talk to a really understanding fella/lady at the visa office and you get to stay. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. waiting with breathless anticipation to find out what the hell happened ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. don't do the never come back thing... just tell them you'll accept work when the offer is extended... and mention wealthy American relatives are willing to western union you tons more money if you run low :)

    ReplyDelete